Treatment of abdominal hernia at home
A hernia of the abdomen occurs due to the pathology of the muscles, when their divergence occurs, and the organs of the abdominal cavity come out through the formed defect under the skin. This disease can be cured only by removing the hernial sac. During the operation, the surgeon examines the organs and returns them to their place, then sutures the defect with the patient's tissues or an implant. But in some cases, hernia repair is contraindicated. Then it is important to determine how to cure a hernia of the abdomen without surgery at home.
All surgeons give one answer - nothing will get rid of the protrusion without surgical intervention, but folk remedies and medicines can maintain the condition by preventing complications until the operation is performed.
Types of abdominal hernias and their symptoms
Abdominal hernia is a general concept that implies the appearance of a formation in the region of the anterior abdominal wall. They are classified according to location and clinical course.
Umbilical hernias are protrusions of organs in the region of the umbilical ring. This form of pathology is most often diagnosed in young children, and then treatment can indeed be carried out without surgery, because the child's body is growing rapidly, muscles are being formed and strengthened. But in adults, an umbilical hernia is an absolute indication for a surgical operation.
A hernia of the white line is a relatively rare type of pathology, the formation appears above the navel, has a small size.
Inguinal - a type of formation in which the abdominal organs exit into the inguinal canal or scrotum . It is more often diagnosed in men, and in women the disease can be triggered by difficult childbirth. Treatment is only surgical, because when the organs are infringed, their necrosis occurs, which threatens with infertility and many other serious consequences.
A hernia of the Spigelian line is a rare pathology that occurs without symptoms in most patients. The latent course makes this disease even more dangerous, because infringement can occur at any time, and then the patient needs to be operated on immediately.
In all types of diseases , in addition to specific manifestations, they also have common symptoms:
- round or oval formation on the abdomen;
- reducibility of protrusion under pressure and in the supine position;
- bulging of a hernia during coughing, straining, physical exertion;
- slight soreness, which can turn into acute pain when pinched;
- rumbling in the abdomen, frequent bloating, constipation.
Each symptom has a diagnostic value, because different organs can be in the hernial sac, and the clinical manifestations largely depend on the degree of their protrusion and compression.
Principles of treatment without surgery
A hernia is a surgical disease, that is, the treatment is carried out only through surgery. Surgery for this pathology is vital, and if a doctor has prescribed a hernia repair, ignoring it can be fatal.
But there are cases when the operation cannot be performed or the defect is small and the doctor can say with confidence that it can be cured by conservative methods.
In the process of preparation for the operation, after it and in case of contraindications, a comprehensive treatment of abdominal hernia is performed. It includes taking medications, eliminating symptoms with folk remedies, dieting, doing exercises to strengthen the muscles of the anterior abdominal wall. An important therapeutic measure will be wearing a bandage . A special belt allows you to fix the reduced hernia to prevent its infringement. The bandage protects against accidental injury, sharp turns, prolapse of organs with an increase in intra-abdominal pressure.
try to fight a hernia without surgery with such folk remedies:
- Sauerkraut will help reduce a hernia. It is necessary to attach a sheet to the formation, moisten it in brine every 10 minutes, and so on 3 times. It is recommended to perform this procedure several times a day. You can also compress.
- stop the disease with vinegar . Two tablespoons of the solution are mixed with a mill of water, and the hernia is washed with the finished product. After this procedure, you can apply a compress to the formation.
- A compress from oak tincture prevent inflammation in the pathology area . You need to mix crushed acorns, bark and oak leaves, and then pour the mixture with wine. The remedy is infused for 14 days.
Local remedies are well combined with decoctions and infusions for oral administration. It is necessary to use herbs with anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, tonic action.
With a hernia of the abdomen, the following herbs have gained the greatest popularity:
- wormwood - boil a decoction of a glass of grass and 200 ml of water for 10 minutes, then apply as a compress daily;
- larkspur - pour 20 g of grass with two glasses of boiling water, boil for 10 minutes, take cold in a tablespoon before meals;
- buckthorn and cornflower - 20 g of berries are poured with a decoction of cornflowers, the remedy is taken twice a day.
Decoctions and infusions
N folk medicines for hernia for oral administration:
- 1/3 of chopped horseradish root is added to a glass of water, the finished product is taken before lunch and after dinner;
- crushed plantain seeds are taken in a few grams 7-10 times a day;
- a gram of mummy is diluted in warm water, the remedy is drunk in the morning and evening for a month;
- a tablespoon of clover is poured with boiling water, infused for an hour, taken 1/3 cup every 3-5 hours;
- peppermint is mixed with coltsfoot, the mixture is infused in boiling water for two hours, taken 1/2 cup daily.
We should not forget the importance of nutrition.
Each surgeon will say that the diet in the pathology of the muscles of the anterior abdominal wall is of great importance both before and after surgery. And even before getting rid of the hernia surgically, it is necessary to adhere to certain nutritional rules so that the hernia repair passes with the least risks.
Medicines for hernia are of secondary importance. They are needed in rare cases when there are problems with digestion or a hernia becomes painful. To eliminate the symptoms of indigestion, drugs such as Dufolac and Microlax are used. For the purpose of pain relief, No-Shpa is suitable. Additionally, the doctor may prescribe laxatives, because a hernia is often accompanied by constipation.
In no case should you take medicine when there is acute pain. Such a symptom most likely indicates an infringement of the hernia, and then the tablets will hide an important diagnostic sign.
Anesthesia in this case will reduce pain, but the pathological process will be aggravated, which can result in the most unpleasant consequences, even death.
Muscle Strengthening Exercises
Therapeutic exercises for a hernia of the abdominal cavity are not always allowed. It is necessary to check with the attending physician what movements are permissible, and whether it is worth doing physical education in a particular period of the disease.
With the permission of the doctor, you can perform the following approximate set of exercises:
- Lying on my side. The legs bent at the knees are pulled up to the stomach, linger in one position for a few seconds. Repeated - 10-15 times.
- Lying on your back. Straight legs rise above the floor at an angle of 45 degrees, linger for a few seconds. Repeated - 5-10 times.
- standing. The legs are laid back, the back is kept straight. Repeat - 10 times with each leg.
- standing. Slow turns of the body are made for 2-3 minutes.
- Lying on your back, legs bent at the knees, arms crossed behind the head. The head and shoulders rise, the right elbow reaches for the left knee, then the left to the right. Repeat - 10-15 times.
When a hernia is treated for a long time only with conservative methods, this can have consequences. The disease does not disappear on its own, but at any time it can become complicated. The most common consequence will be infringement. This is a condition in which the organs are compressed in the area of the hernial orifice or sac, ischemia and tissue necrosis begin.
If the affected structures are not removed immediately, the inflammation passes to neighboring organs, blood poisoning occurs, and the patient's condition is considered extremely serious.
In addition to infringement, there is a risk of peritonitis. This is an inflammation of the abdominal cavity, which often occurs due to rupture of organs. This can happen with an excessive accumulation of feces in the intestinal loops located in the hernial sac.
The importance of the operation
Removal of a hernia is a mandatory measure for such a disease, and the only question is time. The operation can be performed by open or laparoscopic method. Hernioplasty is indicated for both adult patients and young children. If you do not start the disease, it is possible to perform a laparoscopic operation, then there will be no wide scar on the abdomen and the risk of recurrence of the disease will be minimal.
Recovery after surgery
After hernia repair, the patient is discharged home for 2-5 days, which depends on the type of surgical intervention and well-being. Rehabilitation includes the same measures as the prevention of complications before surgery: diet, exercise therapy, exclusion of bad habits, temporary refusal from physical work, wearing a bandage.
Relapse can occur after tension hernioplasty, when the defect is sutured with the patient's tissues, and under the condition of congenital or acquired muscle weakness. Compliance with the prescribed preventive measures allows you to almost completely eliminate the risk of recurrence of the pathology and the development of other postoperative complications.